Re: 8i Certification-Info.

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:03:49 +1000

Yes, you can upgrade by taking only the 8i New Features exam.

However, because 8i is no longer very new, you will be soon doing the same thing again to get current with 9i.

I *believe* (and I stress I might be wrong with this) that you can take the 9i new features exam direct from 8.0, since 8.1 was allegedly only a bit of an upgrade to 8.0 -they shared the same version number, after all.

This way you become, immediately, 9i-current. You will, of course, have a hard time understanding the new 9i enhancements of, say, resource manager unless you know what the 8i underpinnings were in the first place. But that's not so hard to fix up.

But you must talk to a competent Oracle representative (I'm not representative, and most of my "friends" would say I wasn't very competent either) to ascertain for sure whether this is the gospel truth, or the ravings of a nutter.

(My bet is on the former, but YMMV)

Regards