Veritas Backups Taking Ages ...

From: Mick Rice <mickrice_at_techie.com>
Date: 28 May 2002 09:09:58 -0700

Oracle 8.1.6 EE
NT 4.0 SP6
3GB Ram
4 CPU (400mhtz ?)

I really puzzled about some online backups that are taking increasingly longer and longer to run against one of our production databases. The database is about 47Gb's large and is backed up each evening while open using Veritas Backup Exec with the Oracle Agent. I only started in this company in January but was told that there had been a sudden deterioration in the time taken for this job about a month before I started. A cold backup, which is only taken rarely, takes 2.5 hours but the online backup can take anything up to 7 hours depending on the day. We've recently added two extra CPU's to the server to solve a general performance problem where the server was under severe pressue for long periods but this has had absolutely zero impact on the time taken for the backups. There are two modeules of Oracle Apps also running on this database and one of my suspicions is that somehow applications is slowing down the online backup. Unfortunately I'm mostly ignorant of Oracle Apps and would appreciate any insights here. I have little enough scope for tweaking the database as it has to remain open 24/7 except where we absolutely need to make a change, and so experimentation is difficult. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Received on Tue May 28 2002 - 11:09:58 CDT