Re: Oracle 9i strange behavior (ORA-600)

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:23:33 +0400

I think it has less to do with QA than with increased complexity of the software. Even the best QA dept can't test the software in all possible combinations of hardware, software, data layouts and commands the software executes. That's what customers are for. :) I agree that initial release of 9i was very unstable, and some very serious bugs sneaked in. But it also had a large number of completely new features built in, and it was rushed into market, so it's no wonder it had so many unresolved (and even unknown at the time of release) issues. Compare that to any other complex software product - you'll see the same picture. Microsoft tried so hard to make Windows 2000 the stablest OS they ever released, it went through the widest beta test program - and we undergone two full-blown service packs within a year of its release, each fixing hundreds of serious issues, and third one is on the way. Same's with 9i. But now there goes 9.2, which is mostly a maintenance release with only a few true additions, and it should be pretty stable. Can't wait to put my hands on it. :)