Re: How To Improve Connection Times?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 03:29:53 -0400

On Sat, 25 May 2002 16:38:43 -0400, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Sorry to be hairsplitting, but where do you read the OP is using MTS?

Because dedicated connections are generally very fast and straitforward. If network works OK and there aren't any memory problems, dedicated connection will work extremely well. What the heck is OP?

> Where do you read the OP is using any Unix platform?

He says "Oracle 9i on Linux". I hope that Linux qualifies as Unix? Technically it's not, but it would really be hairspliting on your part.

> Also you must be
> aware connecting using service_name = in tnsnames.ora is usually faster
> than connecting using SID = in tnsnames.ora

Yes, I know that, but the difference is not significant. It essentially works both ways. I've never been able to measure the difference. The only situation when you really need SERVICE_NAME instead of SID is parallel server and load ballancing. There is apossibility of cross-registering dispatchers with the listeners on the other nodes, in which case listener will generally produce a connection to node which has the lowest CPU usage. Now Khalid (I suppose that he's that mysterious OP) has never mentioned OPS, so I didn't assume it.

> Also do you really think the
> listener.ora show any traces of waiting , where it is the *client* that
> has trouble connecting?

Yes. There can be waits like "waiting for more data from the client". There is also a possibility of tracing the clients., by setting the same variable in sqlnet.ora.

> So, finally, why do you feel the need to piss me off, without even
> reading the request of the OP

Because you seem to be an irritable geezer who uses uncommon abbreviations. As for reading, I believe that you are the one who has missed a letter or two. Finally, I would advise against such a tone because I can probably use it as well as you. So, calm down and refrain from using SATNU.

> Regards
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

Regards,

--
Mladen Gogala
Senior Oracle DBA