Re: Lock timeout on oracle 8i

From: Alun Liggins <a.liggins_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 11:27:14 +0000 (UTC)

On a slightly less extreme set of comments ... yes, buy Tom's book, as it explains the differences (and why!) between Oracle and other database vendors in how they handle locking and concurrency. You cannot just pick up and drop SQLserver code onto an Oracle database and expect it to work, as although the code
may look the same, Oracle implemented a 'different' way of managing locks/concurrency. Basically readers never block writers and writers never block readers.
Its neat, but it does cause confusion when people migrate from one to the other. Also read the "Oracle Concepts" book. If 2 people are trying to update the same row/column one of them will block (wait) until the first session either commits or rolls back. You will need to recode the logical of the application to achive the same results. Do you actually need to switch to Oracle?

Alun