Re: Testing for Existence of Rows - What's Fastest?

From: contrapositive <contrapositive_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:31:46 -0400

"Mladen Gogala" <mgogala_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:acokls$r6lfo$1_at_ID-82084.news.dfncis.de...
> On Sat, 25 May 2002 13:45:32 -0400, contrapositive wrote:
>
> Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a unique index. They are
> usually pretty good at determining uniqueness. If the property is
> complicated, try with a function-based index.

Manipulating indexes really aren't an option, but that wouldn't help me much anyway. This uniqueness is only enforced only on particular types of records (there's a WHEN clause on the trigger), and furthermore records don't have to be unique throughout the table (see the WHERE clause in the original posting). I should have mentioned these things up front. Received on Sat May 25 2002 - 13:31:46 CDT