How To Improve Connection Times?

From: Khalid Eidoo <someone_at_rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 16:41:16 GMT

Hello,

We have an Oracle9i installation running on Linux. The specs of the machine are below. Basically, we are developing a simple client/server application using the OLEDB provider for Oracle. The only real problem we are experiencing is creating an initial connection. The first connection we create generally takes 5-7 seconds to establish. Once connected, the SQL commands executed are extremely quick.

While I do know that creating connections is generally an expensive command, i've never seen seen a connection take so long to establish. This server is under no load whatsoever (development machine). Also, when I was playing with Informix IDS 9.2, connection time was generally under 2 seconds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on improving connection speeds (we are pooling connections etc., its just that the first connection is extremely slow).

Our configuration is:

RedHat 7.2
Pentium III 1.26GHz
1.2GB RAM
20GB IDE HDD (the actual database is less than 5MB and I/O for us isn't an issue).
10/100 NIC
Oracle9.0.1

Please post responses to the newsgroup. Thank-you,

Khalid. Received on Sat May 25 2002 - 11:41:16 CDT