Re: How to store a directory info into a database?

From: AV <avek_nospam_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 01:38:49 -0400

"Carl Rosenberger" <carl_at_db4o.com> wrote in message news:acma5d$tl2$07$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> AV wrote:
> > simples option:
> >
> > structure > xml > string > blob
> >
> > no headache about mapping, but no simple
> > [elements] search possibilities...
>
> Yuck!
>
> What's the point of using a database at all to do the above?
> You are not using any database capabilites at all. You could
> do the same by storing the information to a flat file.

Well, xml>blob is a simplest [storage] solution and in no way is universally best
for all specific (e.g. fast search) requirements.

> I see a very interesting future:
> Relational database users that try to store objects will serialize
> (or XMLize) everything to blobs.
> ...just to fulfill the only pattern that makes management happy:
> "Yeah, we use Oracle to store our data."

I agree with you , but apparently "make manegement happy" is part of the game...

> Good luck!
>
> There are other products that love tree structures.

If "structure" arrives as xml of variable depth, can oobd store them in a way one can easily search sub-sub-sub....sub elements?

AlexV