Re: Newbie's Oracle 9i impression: it sucks

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 20:42:57 GMT

On 16 May 2002, Nuno Souto wrote:

> > 2)Oracle uses Java interface which, although cross platform, is slow and brings
> > out the DOS prompt (which remind of legacy applications) everytime I try to
> > open up a GUI.

> which pills have you been taking of late?

I have never installed 9i.

However, we use Oracle Applications Release 10.7 NCA here, and we see this behavior also.

The reason is that a call to the Java Appletviewer must be made with an argument of a URL to a webserver that is part of Oracle Applications. This call to Appletviewer is stored as a "shortcut" on the desktop, and it does temporarily open a DOS window. Still, it is all 100% Java - it has nothing whatsoever to do with DOS.

This behavior is totally eliminated when using a web browser to launch the client.

I don't know how you are calling OEM, but I can assure you that OEM is a cross-platform product running under many different architectures. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with DOS.

Still, if you want to be more familiar with Oracle, you should try to rely upon OEM less.

p.s. Since you like MS SQL Server, I'll let you in on a little secret.

     http://linux.sybase.com - same program, zero cost.

    / Charles J. Fisher              |"How ridiculous not to flee from one's /
   /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            | own wickedness, which is possible,   /
  /   http://rhadmin.org             | yet endeavor to flee from another's,/
 /                                   | which is not."  -Marcus Aurelius   /