Help with Win 2000 SGA and Performance Tuning

From: Chuck <ccarson_at_syrrx.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:30:25 -0700

We have a Compaq cluster (each node is 3x cpu and 8 gig RAM). I am the Unix guy and am no expert on Windows but have 3yrs as an Oracle DBA on Solaris and Linux. They are having performance problems with a VB application that updates a single column of a table which in turn fires three triggers that insert/update three other tables.

The cpu's never get taxed, staying at about 15% util. Oracle's mem usage is stuck at 1.6 gig. The systems has a total of 6x4 gig pagefiles, 4 of which are on the same disk! (this was a brain stumper for me)

I guess my questions are, what is the max memory usage for Oracle on this kind of config? Also, it makes sense to me that one 4 gig pagefile would be faster than thrashing accross 4 on the same disk? Also, it makes sense to me that a properly configured system/database/application should never use swap at all (is this far fetched)? The disk subsystem is hardware RAID 5 (I know another performance hit) split into 4 raid paritions. I am pretty sure that the datafiles being on Raid 5 is not the bottleneck in this case (although it should be which is why something else is defintely not right)

Lastly, I noticed a large number of page faults for ALL processes runninig on the system, not just Oracle.

The system is not doing a very large number of transactions it is taking data from two large robots that take pictures of biotech experiments (small 96 well trays), at most, it make get 2 requests per 2 seconds.

Can anyone give this Unix guy some Oracle on Windows pointers?

Thanks,
Chuck

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Fri May 24 2002 - 12:30:25 CDT