Re: HELP -- Insert's Take Forever! (code attached)

From: James B <james_c_ball_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 May 2002 03:34:09 -0700

Hi,

Sounds like the tables you are using need some work - they may be heavily fragmented due to all this inserting. Have a look at chained rows to see if this is the case. If it is you may want to re-build the table.

If you have the chance to rebuild the table it would be a good idea to organise the storage so that insert do not add to the chaining so much - there is a clause in the create table command to add space for inserts and updates mid-table but I can't think of it now :)

Partitioning the table might be an idea too - order records lend themselves quite nicley to division by order date.

Just a couple of thoughts