Looking for DB metrics to monitor

From: Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAM.networkusa.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:47:52 -0500

This was passed to me by our OpenView admin. Our management likes metrics. Can someone help me show some that might mean something?

I have been asked to identify Oracle metrics collected by OVO (Oracle Plug-in For OpenView) to be displayed on the Metrics database web page. Could someone give some direction on which metrics may be useful. If you have time, scan the list below and let me know which of the metrics could be used for capacity planning or fault prevention.

Here are some I selected (let me know if you agree or disagree with their usefulness)

# of segments approaching max extent (E017_SegMaxExtentCnt) Disk sort rate (E019_SortDiskRate)
Total buffer cache hit % (E022_TotBufCacHitPct) Rate of background checkpoints completed (E035_BckgndCkptRate) Table spaces with low free space ; drill down (E206_TblSpFreePct)

Here is the list of all available metrics. Definitions are available in "VantagePoint SMART Plug-ins for Databases Oracle Referece" http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/

<entire list removed cause of space constraints> Received on Thu May 23 2002 - 16:47:52 CDT