Re: real time app. on Oracle

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 23 May 2002 08:24:46 -0700

In article <mA_G8.16208$b5.56603_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Richard says...

>Hi
>
>I'm not entirely sure how/why you would apply suggest a definition of a
>real-time application.
>
>However you might want to explore the features available with the Database
>Resource Manager. It provides the ability to group users into different
>categories and define different levels of priority to each group. You can
>also ensure that if a particular user were to use up too much resources, it
>can stop that unit of work from executing in the first place.
>
>It might be what you're looking for.
>
>Regards
>
>Richard

Hey, Mr Foote, good to see you contributing something useful! ;)

(For those who are concerned I'm putting s**t on Richard, I am, but then again I've known him for years and what are friends for? ;)

One additional thing to be aware of here though is that Resource Manager only kicks in when whatever resource you're talking about is maxed out e.g. CPU has hit 100%.

>"hongying yin" <hongying.yin_at_nokia.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to know how the Oracle can support the real-time application.
>> E.g, can Oracle set up the priorities for the processes, so that when
>> the higher-priority process came to (modify the same record), the Oracle
>> can roll-back the low-priority process and let the high priority process
>> to operate first.
>>
>> Another issue is if it's possible that we can set the time-out in DB so
>> that if the process takes too long time, Oracle can roll it back.
>>
>> Thnaks a lot in advance.
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Hongying Yin

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu May 23 2002 - 10:24:46 CDT