Re: Newbie's Oracle 9i impression: it sucks

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:43:45 +0100

"Serge Rielau" <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:3CEC0EFC.1CFC61D5_at_ca.ibm.com...
> I wouldn't go as far as saying that any one locking scheme is right or
wrong.
> They all have their places. But "readers don't block writers" is not
better.
> It's just different.

I agree. (although it's writers block readers that most irritates me). The original discussion though arose from a claim that Oracle and MSSQL behaved in the same way. (though Oracle had all these nasty shortcomings :-( ). They don't. What should be important is that people know how their platform behaves and don't expect to blindly apply the same techniques to each new platform they encounter.

> Cheers
> Serge
>
> PS: I apologize for the technical content ;-)

well stop it at once <VBG>.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA