Re: Oracle Myths

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:16:29 +0100

I suspect it comes from conversations like the ones I have had with my server build folks

How much storage do you need 100GB?
Yes.
Great we can buy 4 72GB disks and put them in a raid5 array. these new ultra scsi 8 12gb cache 20000rpm disks are wonderful!

In other words for most apps people look at capacity only and think that larger capacity disks are a Good Thing TM.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

> > Down below in another thread TurkBear wrote: "IMHO, the size does not
matter"
> > with reference to disk size.
> >
> > And this reminded me of another common bit of "wisdom?" with respect to
Oracle I
> > thought I would throw into the mythology pot.
> >
> > For many years I was told that Oracle likes lots of small disks. That
the ideal
> > Oracle system was 100 2GB drives rather than 10 20GB drives. I haven't
heard
> > this repeated in awhile. It was only about 5 years ago I remember a
SysAdmin
> > whining that he could no longer get 4GB drives and would have to move
Oracle to