Re: max INITIAL extent allowable

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 20:14:06 -0700

In article <XcRG8.25179$db7.1080802_at_news2.west.cox.net>, "dkrpata1" says...

>Thanks, yeah, I know that for instance Veritas File System will allow you to
>have files greater than 2GB. But you're right, I asked the person why they
>wanted to put the entire table into one extent and it's just hardheadedness
>(if that's a word). But it made me interested to see how Oracle checked the
>OS for that value. For example I tried to create an inital extent of
>2902000K or even 2902M and it failed. But no worries, I'm not going to
>worry about myself anymore.

max extent size is 2gig regardless of OS. http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76961/ch43.htm#11789 (look for database extents)

it is a myth that things are better in a single extent.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/