Re: Newbie's Oracle 9i impression: it sucks

From: SQLJoe <sqljoe_at_aol.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 22:31:07 GMT

>Lets see if I can explain this to you in simple terms so there is no
>ambiguity.
>
>1. I teach RDBMS at the University of Washington.
>2. Some of my students are employees of Microsoft and on the SQL Server
>development
>team
>3. All of them disagree with you.
>
>You can claim what you wish in a usenet group. Being correct is quite another
>matter entirely.
>
>I would like to suggest that if you are working with Oracle, or have an
>interest in
>Oracle, that you post those relevant items to this group. If not I would
>suggest
>that you do your posting at comp.databases.sqlserver, in a usenet group where
>they
>are on-topic, or at alt.test. This group did fine before you arrived with
>your
>abusive and inflammatory rhetoric and would likely not drop into a deep
>depression
>upon your departure.
>
>Daniel Morgan

 I HIGHLY doubt if you asked any MS SQL expert whether you can read data that is being updated. Must you lie to make your point? I have yet to see a single technical knowledge out of you and I have doubts whether you know anything about database at all, let alone teach one at some University.

Let me give your a URL

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/t s_set-set_74bw.asp

The important portion reads like this

READ UNCOMMITTED Implements dirty read, or isolation level 0 locking, which means that no shared locks are issued and no exclusive locks are honored. When this option is set, it is possible to read uncommitted or dirty data; values in the data can be changed and rows can appear or disappear in the data set before the end of the transaction. This option has the same effect as setting NOLOCK on all tables in all SELECT statements in a transaction. This is the least restrictive of the four isolation levels.

I bet you have NO IDEA what these things really mean. Please spare me and don't give me your lies.

Jinsoo
MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE+I Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 17:31:07 CDT