Re: Oracle 9i install on Windows 98

From: Azstrummer <azstrummer_at_aol.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 20:17:54 GMT

>Art,
>
>Is your delivery platform going to be on NT/Win servers or on UNIX?
>
>It's my advice, if it is the latter, to install Oracle server on Solaris for
>Intel or on Linux.
>They're going to need to know and be instantly familiar with UNIX commands
>like kill, ps, and so forth. I've built playpen boxes for my DBAs and
>developers over the years and requirement number one is that they are
>comfortable with the RDBMS in the O/S context, not just the database itself.

At this point in time our platforms are going to be Windows 98/2000/NT with a Netware backbone but I could care less about the users at this point. I just simply need to know how to get past the user login to start altering the local database in this 9i install I've just done. Our company's a private contractor working for a large city government with strict development guidelines. I'm going to be programming in VB which I've played with and enjoy but if I want my data in a true RDMS we have to use Oracle. All I need for now is to provide a standalone test enviroment on my development computer to simulate that RDMS system I'll have to migrate to in the future. I thought this 9i installation would provide that but there might be a much simpler approach. Man, I hope so.

Art Martin Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 15:17:54 CDT