Re: real time app. on Oracle

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 11:42:07 -0700

In article <acgm55$pel$1_at_helle.btinternet.com>, "A.Liggins" says...

>You may want to investigate Advanced Queueing, but I suspect that really
>need to think about what
>you are trying to do.

But AQ is asynchronous. What use is that in a real-time system? Or am I missing something fundamental here?

>Most Unix's and NT aren't real time systems, so you really must come up with
>a definition of what your 'real-time'
>really is, what you want the system to do, and why it is real time. You may
>have to investigate other databases and os's to
>satisfy your application.
>
>Oracle can't do real time because the OS can't.
>
>Alun
>
>"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>> hongying yin wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'd like to know how the Oracle can support the real-time application.
>> > E.g, can Oracle set up the priorities for the processes, so that when
>> > the higher-priority process came to (modify the same record), the Oracle
>> > can roll-back the low-priority process and let the high priority process
>> > to operate first.
>> >
>> > Another issue is if it's possible that we can set the time-out in DB so
>> > that if the process takes too long time, Oracle can roll it back.
>> >
>> > Thnaks a lot in advance.
>> >
>> > Best Regards,
>> >
>> > Hongying Yin
>>
>> I am not aware that it can do that. I am also not aware of ever having any
>> need to wish that it did. And that includes work on enterprise wide
>> applications in a company with 200,000 employees.
>>
>> You have inquired about a feature (?) that would serve no real purpose.
>>
>> What you can do, if you choose, is use a profile to limit the CPU and
>> resources available to specific users.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 13:42:07 CDT