Oracle 9i install on Windows 98

From: Azstrummer <azstrummer_at_aol.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 18:47:37 GMT

Alright, I'm tired of installing, uninstalling, rebooting. I downloaded Oracle 9i Personal Edition from Oracle and am trying to install it on my workplace Windows 98 computer. My basic intent here is to use this for learning and testing basic database programming techniques in an SQL environment prior to our IT people actually installing and administering Oracle on a network server.  The install seemed to go fine without errors and I had it put in a generic local database. I changed the SYS and SYSTEM passwords as I was instructed to and it appears that I'm able to start the system properly. My problem lies when I go into the Navigator. Can see the local database icon and when I click on it to try to start creating and playing with tables, it appears the username of P08 will not take any of the passwords I'm aware of. Documentation tells me that the initial password for that user name should be PO8 as well.

Am I expecting too much out of the Navigator? Am I skipping steps somewhere? Have to tell you the documentation really sucks here. Is it possible to change which user name I go into the local database with? I'm really wasting my time and the time of my company here. Were it up to me what database engine I could use for development after this experience it certainly wouldn't be Oracle. The applications I'm intending to write have no requirements for exotic security and so much of Oracle appears to be overkill but unfortunately I have no control over this process.

Help please,
Art Martin Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 13:47:37 CDT