Re: 8.1.7 configuration question (Openvms)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 19:04:37 +0200

On 22 May 2002 09:37:05 GMT, Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>Well, my question was aiming at the following circumstance (maybe
>it's an OpenVMS issue)
>
>I loaded an SQL file creating some tables etc. and I got the error
>message that the system table space could not be extended or was full.
>(I was loading some 50 MB of data or so - not terribly much.
>Yes, it is unwise to use the system tablespace for user data, but
>it was for testing purposes only).
>
>Anyway, from this I concluded that there must be some place
>to tell the Oracle what it's "initial" size for these tablespace
>files is.
>
>OTOH I wonder why it is not getting extended automatically on growth or
>data being added?

Yes, it is unwise to use the system tablespace for user data, but it was for testing purposes only

It is not only unwise it is just a BIG NoNo. NO ordinary user should be allowed in the SYSTEM tablespace NOT EVEN FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

Anyway, from this I concluded that there must be some place to tell the Oracle what it's "initial" size for these tablespace files is.

Issues like this are discussed in the Server Administrators Manual. I am quite aware (you have demonstrated that over the years) you refuse to read it. However, your refusal shouldn't be a pretext for asking questions with such obvious answers.

>OTOH I wonder why it is not getting extended automatically on growth or
>data being added?

For ONE SECOND: Try to THINK!!!!!! I know that is difficult for you. If you have the SYSTEM tablespace on AUTOEXTEND, and you drop those 'test' tables, and because of the 'test' tables, the datafile was extended, how are you going to reclaim that space? RIGHT, by RECREATING the WHOLE database.

PLEASE, as you seem to do DBA work, go to an Oracle DBA course, and READ that Manual. STOP asking those ELEMENTARY questions.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 12:04:37 CDT