Re: Newbie's Oracle 9i impression: it sucks

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:27:06 +0100

"SQLJoe" <sqljoe_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:20020522073126.21008.00000154_at_mb-fo.aol.com...

> >But you've still missed the point: I don't want to read uncommitted data.
> >Uncommitted data is data that's in flux for all manner of reasons. All I
> >want to be able to do is to read the *previously* committed version of
the
> >data, whilst you are in the *middle* of updating it, without being locked
> >out, and without having to code anything special to prevent the lock out.
>
> Before, a data is committed, is not in flux, the row is EXACTLY as it was
prior
> to the beginning of trasaction. Let me say this again, MS SQL perfectly
lets
> you read data when the same row is being updated. NO PROBLEM. You seem to
> indicate Oracle can do this while MS SQL cannot, this is simply not true.

What is wrong with the following then.

Session 1

use northwind
go
drop table big_orders
select a.orderid,b.customerid,a.productid into big_orders from [order details] a ,[orders] b
insert into big_orders select a.orderid,b.customerid,a.productid from [order details] a ,[big_orders] b

creates a huge table takes some time!

Session 2
use northwind
go
select top 5 orderid from big_orders

session 3
use northwind
go
update big_orders set orderid = orderid +1

Sessions 2 is blocked by session 3. This is on sql2000.

do the equivalent on oracle and it runs fine.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA