Re: 8.1.7 configuration question (Openvms)

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 22 May 2002 09:37:05 GMT

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote: > On 21 May 2002 15:18:20 GMT, Christoph Kukulies > <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>>Could someone point me to the commands that are required to assign a default
>>tablespace to a certain user under openVMS (Oracle 8.1.7)?
>>
>>A customer created a DB and when I filled it from an NT client over the
>>network, everything went into the system tablespace making it overflow.
>>
>>Does ALTER USER xxx DEFAULT TABLESPACE yyy TEMPORARY TABLESPACE zzz
>>suffice? How and where do I define initial sizes?

> Yes.
> What do you mean by initial sizes?

Well, my question was aiming at the following circumstance (maybe it's an OpenVMS issue)

I loaded an SQL file creating some tables etc. and I got the error message that the system table space could not be extended or was full. (I was loading some 50 MB of data or so - not terribly much. Yes, it is unwise to use the system tablespace for user data, but it was for testing purposes only).

Anyway, from this I concluded that there must be some place to tell the Oracle what it's "initial" size for these tablespace files is.

OTOH I wonder why it is not getting extended automatically on growth or data being added?

> The usual admonition (but especially looking at the kind of questions
> you have been posting over more than a year) not to consider this
> group as a replacement of reading the manual applies.

I appreciate this NG just for this because it gives me help in urgent cases where there is no time to wade through meters of books or tons of html files. I'm using oracle only a couple of times through the year. Also I moved to another machine right before and have not yet restored all my recorded mail, tips etc.

You are free to ignore my posts but I also appreciated your comments in the past.

Thank you.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies_at_rwth-aachen.de