Query pauses on Oracle 9i NT 4.0 HP netserver LH 6000 multiprocessor

From: Josep <jtort_at_caixapenedes.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 02:02:18 -0700

We have a lan with computers running a software that launches queries to a oracle 9i server. The queries work sometimes well and fast, but 80% of the time they "hang" for a few seconds (30 - 60) and after that, they resume until they give an answer. There are some computers with this software and all them hang AT THE SAME TIME and resume at the same time too. That's why I know the problem is in the server. The oracle tables are correctly indexed and statistics for them are generated too.
But the more interesting part is that if I launch from another computer, a simple and stupid query against that database, using sql plus worksheet, then suddenly the oracle server wakes up and resumes all their hanged works. (!)

The server machine is used as a file server too, and it keeps working all the time with no problem. We can read and save files to the server while the oracle server and clients are all "hanged".

The server is a HP netserver LH 6000 multiprocessor (2 Xeon 700Mhz) with Oracle 9i.

Any suggestions would be REALLY apreciated.

Josep.

48751568747132546878897 Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 04:02:18 CDT