Re: Newbie's Oracle 9i impression: it sucks

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:10:26 GMT

Robert Mitchell wrote:

> sqljoe_at_aol.com (SQLJoe) wrote in message news:<20020520160440.01552.00001103_at_mb-mu.aol.com>...
>
> > One more point, there are many of you Oracle folks who like to bash MS SQL, and
> > as a MS SQL DBA, I do NOT go ballistic when people bash MS SQL in this room.
> > You guys need to keep an open mind. Perhaps many of you should learn MS SQL
> > since it is CLEARLY taking over marketshare from Oracle in W2K environment.
>
> The difference is that you are in an Oracle NG. The folks "who like to
> bash MS SQL" are NOT going to the SQL Server newsgroups to do it. If
> they did, the reception they would get would be just as hostile, if
> not more so.
>
> Just a matter of perspective.

Bashing anything in a usenet group is of limited usefulness other than perhaps generating some sense of adolescent satisfaction.

Statements about the strengths and weaknesses of all products should be based on fact, not heresay, and those making the comments might keep in mind that there are still some perfectly functioning dBase II apps out there doing just fine.

That said ... "CLEARLY taking over marketshare" is both questionable in fact and questionable in relevancy. First off, how would anyone know? And by what criterion is marketshare judged if we did have access to real numbers? Number of licenses? Number of CPUs? Number of machines? Number of connected users? Volume of data?

Which is larger? One license for a production database at Amazon.com or 100 licenses for databases at Junior's Hot Dog Stands, Inc.?

"Marketshare" is as term as meaningful as "my query is too slow." It appears to have content but truly does not. Secondly ... I could care less if SQL Server, or Informix, or 3x5 cards take over 90% of the market. That's a concern for Bill and Larry. I don't own enough stock in either company to care one iota. I started in Fortran. When jobs dried up I moved to Cobol. When jobs dried up I moved to Oracle. If that dries up I'll either move on to something else or just get on my boat and hoist sails.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue May 21 2002 - 12:10:26 CDT