Re: Export Output

From: David Simpson <dsimpson_at_dotcomsolutionsinc.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:46:23 GMT

Here is a Perl script which does an export and generates a log into the backup directory.
http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/win_901_32bit_files/in stallgen_win901_35_.html

For a simple task like this it is not necessary to wrap up the process within a Perl script like this, however it provides me with the flexibility to add more functionality in the future. I generally prefer to use Perl scripts instead of batch files on Windows due to the many Perl modules and enhanced feature set of having a full programming language available.

You could probably do something similar with Visual Basic.

You may download a demo version of Installgen so that you may conveniently look at or modify the scripts on your own computer: http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/downloads/demo_software/index.html

Or you may choose to browse the individual output files via the web: http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/installgen_files_win90 1.html

Here is a full-featured RMAN backup script I like to use for situations where I am not using a recovery catalog: http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/installgen_win901_29_. html
RMAN is preferred by Oracle over the Hot Backup method because it generates less redo in the database and you can also throttle the amount of I/O used by RMAN. (I have implemented this functionality on my scripts.) This means that if necessary, you can perform the RMAN backup while users are actively using the server without consuming all of the I/O bandwidth of the server. You will need to adjust the default I/O rate to a value which is suitable for your server.

David Simpson