Re: Oracle 9i / Linux install Help Please

From: Jon Kimball <jon.online_at_notexcite.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:15:00 -0400

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:ac8uem02v52_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <3ce7dda2$1_19_at_news.onlynews.com>, "Jon says...
8i was soooo bad I really don't trust the 9i one either. I have seen the 9i one work - but why? Run it after the install and you can't go wrong. Oracle's documentaion (9i release notes for linux) list only suse as supported, and all the paths/examples/samples in the linux doc's assume suse style paths and configuration so it's easier on suse.

Of course suse has no problem reading rpm, zip's or whatever other format software comes in. If your a newbie trying to walk through the instructions from oracle, suse will work and redhat may not because of paths. It happened to this guy with his tnsnames file not begin created.

I also personally don't like redhats layout, sbin is not a dumping ground for every tool you might ever need!

JON