Re: Oracle 9iAS: Forms compatibility between NT and Unix

From: Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:44:10 GMT

Ok. I'll forgive you the misunderstanding *this* time. :)

I don't really see what their having their print routines (which, at this point in time, consist entirely of downloading a PDF file to the client and the user manually printing via the client's mechanisms) has anything to do with them releasing the application on a Windows 9iAS platform exclusively. If there really is such minor compilation issues to deal with on the UNIX port (and, if they have a brain about coding, they would have a standard consistent way of naming things to address this in the code in the first place), then the customer should be able to decide which platform makes the most sense for their servers instead of the vendor forcing a relatively arbitrary choice. Actually, I would think implementing our requirement for the one work order entry screen to print directly from the server to the printer instead of the user having to manually do so from the client side would be easier done on a UNIX platform since it would presumably be a simple system call sending the file to some command line rather than who knows what kind of things would need doing on a Windows server to accomplish the same thing.

I guess I'll be talking to him again about this and possibly having my boss get some additional negotiating done with the company, if need be. From what folks have been saying here, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal for them and worth it to us to push for a UNIX release to avoid the expense of implementing more Windows servers in our shop.

--
Jeff Traigle
traigle_at_si.umich.edu