Re: Oracle 9i / Linux install Help Please

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 19 May 2002 12:29:26 -0700

In article <3ce7dda2$1_19_at_news.onlynews.com>, "Jon says...

>8i asks you if you want to run the 'optional' utlities during the
>installation. DON'T! Run them by hand after the install works
>It seems tbe universal installer is not very good at spawning other java
>apps and it hangs a lot in attempting to run dbca while universal installer
>is already running.
>
>You could use suse 7.x, and oracle 9i. Suse Linux is Oracle's supported
>platform for 9i. (I guess they are mad at RedHat- who knows) Suse has an
>excellent oracle guide (http://www.suse.com/us/support/oracle/index.html)
>that walks you through the users/groups/directories/ etc. No hunting around
>on the web -it's all right there.
>
>If you do go to 9i, it asks if you want to create a database during the
>install - DON'T! Same problem as above...
>

>JON

Must be a configuration issue. I've run the DBCA from the installer with every install since 9.0 release 10 (alpha code) and not had any problems with it. Of course, I'm installing clean each time (you can't generally migrate alpha code from one release to another so you deinstall it first) and I have a PC with 512 Mb or a Solaris box with about the same.

Oh, and I don't think there's an issue with RedHat. I believe there's been a RedHat release of 9i for quite some time.

>"Steven Webb" <Swebb999_at_btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Im trying to install 9i on redhat 7.2. I've followed a few web site tips
>> about what to do about installing java, and creating oracle users, setting
>> shared memory and so on. Im still having problems when the network
>> configuration assistant runs up though in the installer. Basically it just
>> sits there listening. Now my machine is called hotrats (after the great
>> zappa/beefheart album :) and the /etc/hosts file contains the following
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost
>> 127.0.0.1 hotrats hotrats
>>
>> everything resolves ok when i use the apache and when I ping. I've set the
>> SID as database what should I enter as the global database name. I've
>tried
>> just database but I get the network problem.
>>
>> I set the hostname and the ip addresses using network configurator.
>>
>> So thats it basically the listener just listens. If I kill it and at the
>end
>> of the installation run the netca the test shows that the tcp listener
>seems
>> to work but the ipc one fails for some reason.
>>
>> Any idea's ? Oh and does the listener matter anyway on a stand alone
>machine
>> ? I'm installing oracle so I can learn how to use it by the way.
>>
>> Please help
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> --

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sun May 19 2002 - 14:29:26 CDT