Re: Oracle Myths

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 23:19:01 +0200

"koert54" <koert54_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:7LwF8.83809$Ze.13075_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be...
> > Nope, and for damn good reasons. I've heard horror stories of people
who
> > haven't used it the right way. I sure wouldn't want to support the
> results in
> > any other way than enforcing it as strictly as we do! :)
>
> hmm from what I have seen it's pretty easy to extract data with DUL - the
> result will be same
> no matter who's in front of the keyboard - the only difficult thing about
> DUL is setting the
> platform specific parameters. And DUL only does reads - so it's not like
> it'll damage the DB
> even more ... BBED on the other hand is shipped with Oracle on the NT
> platform and *will* let
> you change the blocks directly, being able to corrupt data quite easely
> without deep knowledge of
> oracle block structures ... I can't imagine what those horror stories
would
> be, I can only imagine
> the relieve of the IT departement recovering whatever data they can get.
>
> btw Pete - you working for Oracle and all - why did Oracle ship BBED with
> Oracle on NT and didn't
> bother to document it - they even password protected it ... is this a
*bug*
> and it shouldn't be there in
> the first place ? :-)

I think the strange thing here is Howard Rogers site got shut down by Oracle, and what you are doing is clearly an attempt at reverse engineering. This is usually prohibited by your license, and it looks like you are clearly violating it.
For me the surprising thing is Oracle didn't take any legal action against you, which I would recommend them doing
I would also imagine when you make your 'tool' available, you are not going to assume any legal responsibilities for using it. This alone would be a sufficient reason to strongly discourage anyone to use your 'tool' at all. After all, if you hire Oracle to rescue your database and Oracle screws your database, your legal position is completely different.

I am also annoyed you are treating Pete Sharman this way. Is Oracle an Open Source product? Clearly it isn't and they have the full right not to disclose this information.
You, however, are hacking and reverse engineering, which is clearly illegal, and not in the interest of the user community. I would just love to see Oracle stops your reverse engineering work. This would mean a legal move, definitely more justified than shutting Howard J Rogers site down.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA