Re: Oracle 9iAS: Forms compatibility between NT and Unix

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:56:24 GMT

Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu> wrote in news:B90BF193.14550%traigle_at_si.umich.edu:

> There really shouldn't be any that I can think of. Other than our need
> to print work orders directly from the server to the printer instead of
> having the PDF file downloaded onto the client's PC and manually
> printed by the end user, there shouldn't be any server-side writing of
> files or OS calls. Everything they do in the application is manipulate
> the data in the database.

Forgive me if I misunderstand the question.

AFAIK, the short answer it is "trival" to do. The longer answer is immediately below.

At my shop I'm the DBA & a Unix bigot; with the DB's running Unix. Most of the developers here are Windoze Weenies. The developers have been supporting Forms & Reports V5 for thick clients. I've loaded 9iAS on a Unix box.
I have created a cron job which nightly (re)compiles all reports and forms using the V5 source files. I deposit the results into appropriate folders so that 9iAS webclients (V6) can access the EXACT same forms & reports as the V5 thick clients can access.

There are only a couple of minor "gotchas" which needed to be worked thru. 1) Filename case sensistivity on the Unix side need to be resolved. I needed to establish various softlinks on the Unix side to "map" baselib.pll to BASELIB.pll to Baselib.pll 2) The V6 compiler is more strict than V5. Some "minor tweaks" to a few forms and reports were required to allow them to successfully compiled by the V6 compiler.

HTH & YMMV!
dba at mwh dot com Received on Sat May 18 2002 - 11:56:24 CDT