Re: TEMP tblspc appear full, how to clean up

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 May 2002 07:02:01 -0700

In article <ac5ech$3ev$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Howard says...

>You don't get it back. Temporary segments are created during sorts and
>aggregations, and -just like with any other segment- once they're created,
>they're there for good.
>
>Well, sort of. Uniquely, temporary segments are dropped when the database is
>bounced. So there's one possible cure.
>
>SMON should also occasionally decide to wake up and coalesce free space in
>the temporary tablespace, provided it's genuinely free and not being used or
>re-used by someone else. From memory, SMON does its thing every twelve
>hours.

I think this may be version specific too, so if you don't see it every 12 hours don't think it's a bug!

>Regards
>HJR
>

>"Kenny Yu" <kyu_at_biodiscovery.com> wrote in message
>> At one time, O9i complained TEMP tablespace full. I checked to see 99%
>used.
>> I expanded it to 100 mb. It instantly used the 100 mb. The usage mark has
>> stayed at 99% ever since. A guy was running a big nested select with
>> aggregation. I figure some data is staying there. How do I reclaim the
>> space?

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat May 18 2002 - 09:02:01 CDT