Re: Need help applying patchset for Oracle 8.1.6

From: Cecil D'Souza <cecildsouza_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 10:55:42 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:m9daeu4i2o23lo1r5acldv7qpca6sa6bpk_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 17 May 2002 00:48:11 GMT, "Cecil D'Souza"
> <cecildsouza_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Solaris 8 - SS20 Oracle 8.1.6.2
> >
> >I wanted to apply the patch set rel 3 for oracle 8.1.6.
> >
> >I downloaded the file which was in .zip format. I uzipped it into a patch
> >directory. Then the instructions say to execute the ./runinstaller from
CD
> >or from the top level base directory of the Oracle 8.1.6 CD. I executed
it
> >from the Oracle 8.1.6 CD as the OUI does not come in the patchset.
> >
> >It brought up the OUI and I specified the source as
> >/pat8163/stage/products.jar file and
> >left destination as ORACLE_HOME and I pressed NEXT.
> >It asks for group and I entered 'dba' and again, no INSTALL button as
> >specified in the release notes but only NEXT button is available.
> >So I pressed NEXT and it talks about executing the oraInstroot.sh as user
> >'root' in another window.
> >
> >I wanted to know if this procedure is correct because the release notes
says
> >press INSTALL after it displays the list of products.
> >
> >Should I execute oraInstroot.sh as USER root in another window and then
> >continue? How does one apply the patch set?
> >
> >It seems that they make everything very unusually difficult for the
smallest
> >things. The release notes say one thing and what I see on my screen is
> >another. Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> >Any help is appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Cecil
> >

> Do you choose to be in the same league as SQLJoe? It looks like!
> IIRC running oraInstroot.sh is a *one time* operation. This can be
> easily verified by pg the script.
> I do agree with you installation procedures are somewhat more messy
> than usual, but your situation is a dream compared to the 8.1.7.X
> patches for NT, where you have to copy and paste all files yourself.
> You don't me hear complain about that, and I am going to complain I
> will use the word 'sucks' only to Oracle Support representatives,
> which is where these complaints belong.
>
> Regards
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

I am new to this issue of Oracle patchsets. And I always do a lot of searching on the net before I put out a question. As an Oracle DBA guru, you should know better than most people what I just learned from the release notes - that you cannot deinstall the patch. So, before I screw up my hard work which I accomplished after nearly 10 attempts, I don't want to blow away something because I failed to ask in case I did something that I was not supposed to do and it corrupted my current install.

Nothing in Oracle works in a straight forward manner. There is no single document that lays it out straight telling you what to do whether it is a patch or a new installation. I attempted to install Oracle 8.1.6.0 about 10 - 12 times on my SS 20 and each time I got the makefile error while linking. So I finally got Solaris 8 and installed that without even knowing Unix or how to reformat a HDD in SUN. It was a big struggle and finally the Oracle 8.1.6 install went through without a hitch on solaris 8. Now if the manual had only stated that 8.1.6.0 will have problems on Solaris 2.6, I would have explored the possibilities of rectifying it before, instead of breaking my back sitting here for hours on end trying to install this s/w.

It seems to me that Oracle Corp have no idea that there is a term QA and there is a term 'methodical'.

Thanks for the insight into the NT install part and patches. I am soon to get there but I am stuck with the Oracle clinical install due to some stupid errors when the install started

It started something in the background screen and came up with this error. Java.io.IOException:
/u04/solaris/disk1/stage/Components/opa.oc.server.unix/4.0.0.0.10/compIns.ja r
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(compiled code) at ...oracle.sysman.oio
at... oracle.sysman.oio.oiif....

Error in loading component installation.. Exception java.lang.NullPointerException occurred.. java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.Properties.load(compiled code)

and then it stops. Received on Sat May 18 2002 - 05:55:42 CDT