Re: Oracle Myths- Tablespace placement answered by Oracle TPC-C

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 21:30:00 -0600

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:ac41ca$r87$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...

> > > So yes, you can get performance benefit by splitting the data
and indexes
> > onto different disks."
> >

> So now you go back to Metalink and say "prove it". Preferably with
some
> statistics. They won't be able to.

I think the burden of proof is on folks who don't believe it's important.

As of this writing, the seventh place TPC-C result is an HP 9000 Superdome Enterprise Server running Oracle 9i. Reviewing the FDR, on page 98, we see Appendix E - Disk Storage. Notice that no table segments are co-mingled on the same tablespace as any index/cluster tablespaces:

    http://www.tpc.org/results/FDR/TPCC/tpcc_hp_sd_750_fdr.pdf [1410KB]

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com