Outer joins, performance penalty?

From: Preston Crawford <prestonc_at_REMOVESPAMBLOCKcrawfordsolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 01:15:12 GMT

MS SQL Refugee here, so bear with me. I'm new to Oracle and writing a function to return a cursor with the result set of a join of multiple tables. In MS SQL I'd just use the outer join syntax and I guess I'd never thought of the possible penalty of this. In the course of searching online for the Oracle syntax, a few people made a reference to the idea that for every outer join a table scan is performed on the table being joined in optionally. So I'm wondering, is this true? And if it is true, what is the solution?

Preston Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 20:15:12 CDT