Re: Oracle 9iAS: Forms compatibility between NT and Unix

From: Andy Hardy <newsnov01_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 23:31:06 +0100

In message <B90AF3BA.13F39%traigle_at_si.umich.edu> , Jeff Traigle <traigle_at_si.umich.edu> writes

>The new version is a web-based product done with Oracle 9iAS. We're getting
>some verbal cooperation from the company regarding the printing issue, which
>still relies on Windows printing. However, they are only releasing the AS
>side on WindowsNT/2000. Since this requires several thousands of dollars in
>new hardware and licenses, as well as being M$ related, I was not happy
>about this news today. According to the techie guy at the company, the forms
>must be recompiled for the different platforms as they were with the old
>Forms 4.5 stuff. All fine and good.

Erm... 9iAS Forms Server allows you to run Forms through a standard Java equipped browser - at the client end you do a one-off download of Oracles' Java JInitiator . The Forms are compiled for whatever platform you are running 9iAS on - there's nothing else required to support different clients.

I.E You could have an NT/2000 9iAS platform supporting any client browser, whether Windows, UNIX, Mainframe, etc. as long as they have an Internet browser than can run Java.

If the 'techie' really suggested a separate 9iAS setup per potential client, then I'd suggest that you get the company to send a different techie in future.

Pop along to the Oracle site to find out more about 9iAS.

Andy

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849