Re: Need help applying patchset for Oracle 8.1.6

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 18:56:17 +0200

On Fri, 17 May 2002 00:48:11 GMT, "Cecil D'Souza" <cecildsouza_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Solaris 8 - SS20 Oracle 8.1.6.2
>
>I wanted to apply the patch set rel 3 for oracle 8.1.6.
>
>I downloaded the file which was in .zip format. I uzipped it into a patch
>directory. Then the instructions say to execute the ./runinstaller from CD
>or from the top level base directory of the Oracle 8.1.6 CD. I executed it
>from the Oracle 8.1.6 CD as the OUI does not come in the patchset.
>
>It brought up the OUI and I specified the source as
>/pat8163/stage/products.jar file and
>left destination as ORACLE_HOME and I pressed NEXT.
>It asks for group and I entered 'dba' and again, no INSTALL button as
>specified in the release notes but only NEXT button is available.
>So I pressed NEXT and it talks about executing the oraInstroot.sh as user
>'root' in another window.
>
>I wanted to know if this procedure is correct because the release notes says
>press INSTALL after it displays the list of products.
>
>Should I execute oraInstroot.sh as USER root in another window and then
>continue? How does one apply the patch set?
>
>It seems that they make everything very unusually difficult for the smallest
>things. The release notes say one thing and what I see on my screen is
>another. Am I doing something wrong?
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Cecil

Do you choose to be in the same league as SQLJoe? It looks like! IIRC running oraInstroot.sh is a *one time* operation. This can be easily verified by pg the script.
I do agree with you installation procedures are somewhat more messy than usual, but your situation is a dream compared to the 8.1.7.X patches for NT, where you have to copy and paste all files yourself. You don't me hear complain about that, and I am going to complain I will use the word 'sucks' only to Oracle Support representatives, which is where these complaints belong.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 11:56:17 CDT