Is the context name global to a database instance?

From: DL <dimitris_at_cs.umb.edu>
Date: 17 May 2002 07:13:01 -0700

I tried to create a context as a user A and associated it to some package owned by the same user A.

Then I used the same context name to create a context as a different user B and associate it to some other package owned by B.

After I did this the first application was raising an error:

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SESSION", line 58 ORA-06512...

After I recreated the context as user A the error went away. This made me believe that there was a collision over the same nane of the context even though the context was created by different users.

Do you know if this is the reason? For example should the context name be unique even among different schemas?

If this is the case shouldn't there be a mechanism to protect/warn about different users trying to use the same context name?

Thank you,

Dimitris. Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 09:13:01 CDT