Crash & Recover but Oracle8i Disk Thrashing

From: Mike Morris <morrisma_at_ei.dupont.com>
Date: 17 May 2002 07:04:18 -0700

I lost a disk on my SilverServer/Oracle8i development server, a Sun Blade 100 running Solaris 8 patched pretty well with 1gig of ram and 2 ata 30gig drives. (Hey, beggars can't be choosers.)

The good news:
- I had an almost up to the minute export.

I replaced the drive, deleted the 2 instances: silvermaster and the real data,
re-created the instances, imported or reloaded the data and was back up within an amazing (to me) 2.5 hours.

The bad news:
- The disk thrashes outrageously and the response time for anything is
abysmal.
- Swap space was on the system drive and is not even close to used up.

Any ideas?

Mike Morris Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 09:04:18 CDT