Re: Oracle Myths

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:30:50 GMT

On 17 May 2002 03:23:23 -0700, p_byrne76_at_hotmail.com (Pascal Byrne) wrote:

>"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<3ce21b71$0$8510$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
>> PCTIncrease should be as small as possible but non-zero to minimize
>> tablespace fragmentation.1% is a good value (from my OCP course notes though
>> not necessarily given by the tutor!)
>
>I've seen this quoted in a recent paper by Michael R. Ault (author of
>"Oracle8i Administration and Management"). The reason given was that
>SMON will not coalesce free space if PCTINCREASE is zero. Is this
>definitly a myth?
>
>-Pascal

I can't say for sure, but my bet is that this falls into the catagory of "not a myth, but so what?" It's my understanding that with proper tablespace definition and management, tablespace fragmentation is itself a non-issue. Whether my understanding of that "fact" is correct or not, the real point I'm tryng to make is that in some cases, the basic "statement of truth" ( in this case it is "SMON will not coalesce free space if PCTINCREASE is zero.") may still be true, but other features/functions make it a non-issue. Kind of like the old story of the housewife who always cut an inch off the end of a ham before putting it in the baking pan.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)