Re: Oracle Myths- Tablespace placement answered by Oracle

From: Alan <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:53:20 -0400

I have Jonathan's book, and supoprt his rules comlpetely. I also add the following:

The only reliable benchmark is how it runs on your system.

Anyway, I posted the tablespace question on Metalink, and here is the repsonse:

"Queries are not serial in that one does not read all the relevant index block and then start retrieving rows. But, it's not full concurrent either, in that it reads 1 index block at a time then we fetch the relevant data blocks. i.e. read one index block, retrieve the relevant rows, repeat, etc. The only true parallelism would be parallel query.

Even without concurrency in the strictest sense it is still beneficial to put the indexes and data on different disks. The above info relates to one query. There is nothing to stop multiple queries against the same rows and indexes from processing concurrently.

So yes, you can get performance benefit by splitting the data and indexes onto different disks."