Dynamic Memory in 9i and Sort Area Size, why is it small

From: Niko <nick_wakefield_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 May 2002 12:00:45 -0700

I previously worked with 8i and set all the parameters by hand. Now I am considering running oracle 9i for our data warehouse but when I set the dynamic memory allocation up I get a very small sort_area_size, which is not good for the type of queries I would run.

I though I had to just set the following parameters

SGA_MAX_SIZE
WORKAREA_SIZE_POLICY=auto
PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET but the sort_area_size gets reported as being only 64k. I am wrong in thinking that if I set the pga target this will allocate X amount of memory per user process and the sga will allocate x amount to be shared and oracle will then managing block buffers, sort area and all that itself.

Also any though on how I should set the parameters for a 2gb box with only 3 concurrent users at a time for a 50gb warehouse on 9i.

TIA Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 14:00:45 CDT