Re: Sotirng data in row versus storing the same in column

From: Arijit Mukherjee <arijit_at_lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:35:12 +0530

Jim,

   It's like storing the data in a flat format with one column as name and the other column as value. This will allow you to index on the "Name" column.

   Say I have one table A with possible columns a,b,c,d.... (going upto 1000+). Now, for the row way of storing data - I will be creating a table with 2 columns containing name of the colmn and the other containing value of this column.

   In the row format - I will be able to index the table based on the name column.

   In column format - I will be using the normal RDBMS format - with the only exception that I will need to put additional columns in extended tables having an identifier between the same rows in the extended table. Regards,
Arijit