Re: What is The Current Definitive Book for Database

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:52:07 +0100

"Sted Alana" <Sted_Alana_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3ce3a647_1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> >> What Is The Current Definitive Book for Database Systems?
>

> >Two books to read are:
>
> >"An Introduction to Database Systems" C.J. Date
> >Addison Wesley; ISBN: 0201684195
>
> An introduction? that doesnt sound very definitive.

The relational database was largely invented by Codd and Date. you don't get much more definitive.

> >"Transaction Processing" Jim Gray, Andreas Reuter
> > Morgan Kaufmann; ISBN: 1558601902
>
> This seems to be very specific, but thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I ask this question because there are so many database books out there,
> which makes it difficult to decide which one purchase. Surely, there must
be
> a definitive book for database where all serious database
employees/managers
> should own.

I disagree. I couldn't live without some of the books on my shelves, however as the are all oracle specific and I am reading them as a DBA their usefulness to an ASP developer writing apps against a COM/SQLServer 2000 platform is somewhat restrictive.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA