Re: Auditing SMON

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 21:59:25 +1000

In article <3CE39D2C.D5B6D01_at_mytoys.de>, you said (and I quote):
> I am just digging into Oracles internals and found SMON executing
>
> select f.file#, f.block#, f.ts#, f.length
> from fet$ f, ts$ t
> where t.ts#=f.ts# and t.dflextpct!=0 and t.bitmapped=0;
>
> Does anybody know ts$ and fet$ ?

Yes. Both are dictionary (SYS) tables. Exclusively look, but no touchy. TS$ contains the definitions of all tablespaces. FET$ contains the extents in all tablespaces that are free (not allocated to any object).

From this, you should now be able to deduct what that SQL is looking at and why SMON was doing it?

<hint: dictionary managed tablespaces have free space automatically defragmented when default percent increase of the tablespace is != 0>

Have fun.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto