Re: Two Oracle owners on one box .....

From: koert54 <koert54_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:08:40 GMT

This won't work ...
4b. edit /etc/oraInst.loc file to point to another directory - otherwise you won't be able to do your second install ...

5b. create 2 /etc/oratab files (/etc/oratab and /etc/oratab_2) and edit all oracle scripts of the second install to make use of /etc/oratab_2... for example
dbshut, dbstart ... enterprise manager and the intelligent agent are a bit more tricky (tcl scripting)

While performing future upgrades - always edit the /etc/oraInst.loc file first to make it point to the correct directory ... I have a customer with almost the same setup and
they never found any problems while migrating, upgrading etc ... it is of course a waste of resources ...
They also have a listener running for each oracle user so with HACMP you might want to double check your fail-over scripts so they use the correct environment...
The reason they did it because of different companies buying one cowabunga machine and for security reason the DBA for the one company may not have access
*at all* to the other company's environmnent ... it's ugly - but it works ...

kind regards,
Kurt