Re: MTS tuning

From: Pinto <ucanmailme_at_india.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:22:01 +0530

Hello Sybrand,
Thanks for your reply.

> Your configuration doesn't seem to need more than 5 servers.
> Remember extra servers are being added on demand.
> Your mts_servers parameter is already outrageously high, given the
> fact that MTS is intended to *reduce* the number of active
> connections.

These tests were done only with normal scheduled tasks ( not oracle jobs, but database intensive ) in a test environment. At customer sites with large configurations we are expecting a max of 2500 sessions. we will have around 100 clients and each client can take up maximum of 25 sessions. These are difficult to be simulated in a test environment and so we have given mts_servers as 20. is it still very high?

> The query you use to identify cpu usage simply must be wrong. No
> thread can run multiple executables at the same time, which is what
> your output states.

i thought that thread 2028 is the thread for shared server S000 which is busy 25% of the time catering to one instance of ans.exe and one instance bctsched.exe and is using up 69% of CPU time for ans.exe and 65% for bctsched.exe. (The sum of cpu usage from that sql gives me 200% which is correct because its dual processor) also this % is relative to oracle's total cpu usage which was around 55%

These exes are not always doing Database related work. They basically connect to database to do some logging. around 40 times per minute during peak activity.

warm regards,
Pinto.