Re: Detailed information about "Transparent Gateway" please

From: James Williams <willjamu_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 22:49:57 GMT

On Wed, 15 May 2002 22:04:43 GMT, "Hossein Abolghasem" <habolgha_at_stfx.ca> wrote:

You need to go download the Gateway manual from Metalink or probably also OTN.

For instance, I have in the past installed and supported Oracle transparent Gateway for DB2 on OS/390. It installs on OS/390 as a DB2 application that happens to also speak Oracle. Then there is a SQLNET process on OS/390 that passes data over hosts via TCP/IP or SNA LU6.2 to other sqlnets on UNIX or NT back to a database.

To communicate on Oracle you create a dblink and then using a synonym to hide the user.

For instance.

select count(*) from db2prefx.table_at_db2x

create synonym table for db2prefx.table_at_db2x;

select count(*) from table.

From the Oracle side its just another table.

Works good but can be expensive on CPU cycles.