SQL Plus and Firewalls

From: tlrowe <tlrowe_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 15 May 2002 14:08:13 -0700

What I am trying to do is to access Oracle via SQLPlus going through the Internet and a static firewall. The TNSNames file is OK - we are able to successfully do a TSNPing of the external network address. We use a software router called Win Route Pro - this does NAT and acts as a firewall - blocking all ports except those specifically allowed through and forwarding packets as defined - i.e. the external address receives a TCP packet directed to port 1521 and the router sends that packet to an internal address on our network. The problem is that Oracle wants to communicate on a second, dynamically chosen port assigned by the OS - in this case Windows 2000 Server. This prevents communication with anyone except those on the local network. According to various sources, Oracle can be forced to reply on port 1521 by entering a key in the registry - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/oracle/USE_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE This causes SQL-Plus to return an error: ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed
Cause: "End of file" condition has been reached; partner has disconnected
The database still runs, it is just not accessible via SQL-Plus. System configuration:

CLIENT <--------->Internet<-------> external ip address <----------> Firewall <-----------> Internal IP address<------------> Oracle Server I have mapped port 1521 to the internal address of the address of the server and it seems to work - but I can't establish a connection.

If anyone could point me to a work around, a source, alternative solution, or a reference, I would be appreciative. Thanks,
Terry Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 16:08:13 CDT