Re: Seeking Advice: MS SQL DBA learning Oracle?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 20:03:07 +1000

In article <3078e2fe.0205140704.2b247611_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> Oh dear, that could be me! I followed the usual (?) upgrade path to
> being a dba :

That is not a "by rote" upgrade path at all, Norman. Not at all.

> Now, ask me how I would cope in a 'proper' environment where I was
> responsible for 24/7/365 etc, and I'd probably have kittens.
>
> I'm *not* a DBA, as I don't know it in such depth as Nuno, Sybrand,
> Jonathan, Niall, Connor, Tom etc but I try. My book collection is
> growing daily.

Norman, I've been looking after 24X7 sites since 1989 and I STILL get kittens just about every week. So don't put me on a "higher level" (or is that a "lower depth"? <g> ), because it's simply not true.

There is no such thing as an end to learning, in a technical field such as RDBMS. Goes for any maker. It's always changing, always challenging. And also the main reason I'm still doing it after all these years: I'd die of boredom doing anything else.

> PS. I hate this bl**dy firewall !

I love mine! Nail a few dozen would-be hackers every night... ;-)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto